Monday, July 12, 2010

Vintage Cookbooks, Bargain Prices

What a bargain I got when I purchased these vintage cookbooks at a yard sale for fifty cents each. There are many hand written recipes throughout the books. Some recipes were written on whatever piece of paper or envelope they had to use at the time. I can only imagine the women who used these books and what they meant to them at the time.

The 'Loyalty Cook Book.....Native Daughters of the Golden West' (left) was printed in 1948 by Willow Borba. It is inscribed : "To our Daughter Jackie when I'm through with it."

The 'Institue Cook Book" by Helen Cramp (right), was copyright in 1913, and has many handwritten recipes on all the blank pages of the book along with many on papers. It also includes a certificate from the International Institute Department of Domestic Science. Must have been pretty special to the owner of this book at the time. There are pressed flowers and leaves between some of the pages. The one thing about the two oldest books is that you can tell these were used on a daily basis. There is not many pages without food spills or grime on them.

'The Melting Pot Cookbook'  by the  Soroptimist International of Pittsburg (far left pic), is not as old dating to 2004 but also has many handwritten recipes inside and an inscription: "Jen & Meri  With all my Love, Grandma Jackie".


These are generations of women who have used these cookbooks and had many a memory when each time they were opened.

I found this pyrex paper in the Institute Cookbook. Don't you just love the old vintage look of it? It is in remarkable shape. Now what could I do with this? Any ideas are certainly welcome.

I hope to read through the pages of each book and maybe try a recipe or two.  They don't appear to be too complicated.

My daughter would love to have these books and would be saying "mom you don't even like to cook", but I love the history behind each and it just brings this feeling of 'home sweet home' when my mom always used her cookbooks. Besides like the one mother said, "Daughter, you'll just have to wait until I'm done with them."

3 comments:

mtnchild said...

Ooooh, that Pyrex paper should be framed! In your 'lil ole camper ? ? ? Those things are few and far between.

I love looking at old cookbooks. "A pinch here, and a dash there" is always fun to figure out.

I sent my Mothers old Danish cookbook back to her - now I wish I had kept it ... maybe I'll ask her for it again ...

April Showers said...

oh wow, what a great find. I would love to cook old recipes from books like those.

Unknown said...

You could also scan it and make a copy to use on your FG mail art exchange. Fun! Great cookbooks.