We got a new roof put on the chicken house over the weekend. I got all the roosts put in along with some new nesting boxes. Hubby wired it so they could have heat. After collecting three at a time, and moving the girls up to their new place they spent all day out eating bugs and grass.
Today however, there is once again snow on the ground, but you can see they still come out occassionally.
With it being only 32 in their coop, I had to install the second light so it would warm up a bit inside for them. They seem to be doing pretty well living up here but I am still only getting 2 to 4 eggs a day for now. It will be so nice when my babies are grown and giving us a few more eggs each day.
Evenings are still a little crazy putting the hens to bed. They want to go back to the old coop that is also up here in the corral. The babies are in it right now.
So I bring up my oldest mini Aussie, Pearl, and tell her to "round em' up" and she gets them to go back into their coop for the night. I really need to learn the terms they teach the dogs to herd, but for now slow, easy, wait and round up, seem to be working just fine. Now the youngest mini Aussie, Jade, would rather play but she is fearless of anything right now so I really have to keep an eye on her when the deer are nearby. Her being the youngest and smallest makes her the toughest. She puts the other girls in their places quite often.
Since there is not anything I want to do out in the cold today, I think I will make up a batch of brownies. Stop on over and I'll even put on the tea kettle.
Thursday, April 7, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









2 comments:
That is just the cutest little hut!!! They love it already! I am in the designing mode. I need storage so bad that I am going for a larger shed that can be divided up some for them and some for me.
Tell me about these Assie chickens when you have a minute.
I love your coop!
I can hardly wait until this weekend! I have two egg eaters ... they are going to the freezer. As soon as the weather warms up a bit, we are moving 2 more to the freezer and bringing out the new girls. There will only be one of the original girls left as a Mama figure. She is gentle, so I think things will be fine.
Hugs
Yvette
Post a Comment