I doubt I will participate much this year, but want to get my wardrobe stocked up for when I am able to reenact again. I have been super busy sewing up a storm the last few days. With the warm sunshine outside but still cool breeze, I find myself wanting to get my creative juices flowing. Weird, I know, but I am enjoying it.
I've put together another work dress (just needs hemmed). A small headpiece to cover the hair, and on the ironing board I am pinning up a hem on a pleated petticoat. The material for the hem looks uneven because it is. I choose to use what material I have on hand so I make it work however I need to. And two more panels of material were needed to complete the width and it wasn't as long. But it all worked out fine.
I also made an apron and split drawers I forgot to take a picture of.
There is really a lot of clothing women of that era wore. So I need to have extra to change into on the really hot Summer days of reenacting.
I have to tell you though, making or even reading these patterns are not an easy task. Yesterday I spent half my time tearing out what I had stitched in wrong. Plus with so much fabric in some of these pieces, you really have quite a time keeping your material from bunching or pulling on the machine.
But, I'm really not complaining because I am doing something I enjoy. Sewing. Now I wouldn't mind a lesson from someone who has been making period clothing for awhile, though.









1 comment:
I have two friends who do this too. All that material is so heavy, it must make your arms tired sewing it...plus I can't imagine wearing it when it is hot! My friend in Seattle made a movie of their re enactment and it is famous. She did a beautiful job.
Post a Comment