Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Picnic at Heart Lake

We have family visiting from California for the a few days and we all decided to take a picnic lunch and spend a day out at Heart Lake. After enjoying a nice barbeque of sausages, snacking on chips and homemade salsa, we watched the dogs run around and swim in the lake. They even wondered into the tall grass to hunt lizards and hiked around with the men.

My daughter-in-law and I watched butterflies flying about and saw a bunch of dragonflies over the water. We also spotted a water snake which I'm thankful kept on going about its business. It was'nt long before we were blessed with a thunder, lightning shower and a real hard down pour of rain. 


Even with the rain soaking everything pretty fast, it was enjoyable to be out at the lake. Everything there was green and there were wildflowers all about.
Just the calm on the lake was very relaxing to just sit by and veg and take in all the smells of the nearby pines and sagebrush.

You can see the clouds came right over us with quite a loud thunder. The lightning put on a good show for a bit also. I don't know if staying under the trees was a brilliant idea or not, but we did.
We cut up our watermelon, stood under a tree and waited out the storm. It would soon stop long enough for us to pack up our gear and head back home.


I think the dogs were pretty wore down by then. They slept all the way home without a peep. The rain was coming down so hard on the drive home you could not see the road ahead of us even with the wipers going at fast speed. It was a bit icky for a stretch. We watched all the action staying behind us.
 
 
Once we got home the boys went out to shoot their guns and Wendi and I watched a chick flick. All was good for a while until the thunder, wind and rain decided to come and visit over the house. Glad we were tucked away for the night. It is always pleasant to watch from the living room window.

3 comments:

sharnymcclarny said...

No matter what kind of weather ... you can't beat a day at the lake!

mtnchild said...

Ahhh yes, thunder. We have had our share too these last couple of days. Neurotic dog too!!

It looks like you really had a good day at the lake. With so many trees around, I don't know if it is a good or bad idea ... interesting question. You made me stop and think - metal awning, naah. On the lake, naah. In the open, naah. I'm going to find out!

I do love the smell after a good rain though.

Unknown said...

Looks pretty... Where is Heart Lake.?. Can you fish there?
Cheryl