Saturday, January 21, 2012

Snow Days are Here

Well old man Winter has finally arrived. We have had snow falling for almost three days now. Thought I'd share with you what goes on around this homestead in Winter.

Our girls love to go outside and play.
I think Pearl must clear the path for Jade since she barely gets the snow sticking on her. This goes on non stop throughout the day.
 Outside, get covered in snow and have a ball, inside, come lay by the fire and get all toasty until they're ready to do it again.
                           Ahh, to have such a life. 

 But poor Onyx is having to be caged for two whole weeks. Can you tell she is not happy missing out on all the fun? She has been diagnosed with a congenital myopathy. She has low back spinal misalignment and an extra rib. She is only three years old,  but already suffers with arthritis and severe pain.

This all came on her very suddenly. We take her in to therapy laser treatments every other day right now. Along with that she is taking several pain meds to help with controlling her pain.
This is very hard on her as well as us. I hurt along with her when she is suffering.
First thing I did when I found out she was born with this, was to get on the internet to make sure the people we purchased her from, are no longer breeding. Thank goodness they are not.

This is Taz. He is 14 years old. Still loves to play, but is becoming slower in movement. He has lost a lot of muscle, but still sleeps beside me every night.
With snow outside, he is quite content sleeping next to the wood stove.

Now me on the other hand. This is what I do when the Winter is apon us.

I'm either plowing the roadway or hauling wood with 'Ol Hank'. And I must say I am out of practice again on the road. No doubt, it won't take long to get back in the swing of it.
But if I don't want to be out in the cold, I have been keeping myself busy learning how to make a few crochet things. I purchased this book online and love it!

Especially the one skein projects. It is giving me opportunity to use up a lot of leftover yarn.
This is my version of the braided scarf that is on the cover of the magazine.  I must admit I like the pink one better, but again, using what yarn I have laying around.

Another of my quick hats. Love this one.

This pink one was quite the challenge. Used stictches I have never done before. This one took quite a while to finish. Thought I'd use an antique button to finish it off. Love the pink though.
So this is what is keeping me going through our snowy days.

But one more thing I like to do in Winter, bake chocolate chip cookies. That's where I am headed next.

Come on over and I'll serve some up with a nice hot cup of tea.
Thanks for stopping in.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Pets sure are a lot of fun..sorry your little one is so ill. Hope she can get out and play soon.

Love the scarf..cool design. You are such a busy bee, you go girl!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You could come down here and have some lemonade with me! I just made some from a Florida lemon! I love that cute pink hat and the scarf looks so soft! Enjoy your day! I need to look for that book and do some crochet! ♥