Thursday, July 26, 2012

Williamson iver at Collier Park
This has been one crazy, busy month for me. After rv camping on the river at Collier Park for two days, it was home for a couple hours and off to do Relay for Life.

The river was so inviting but still too cold to swim in. Crystal clear blue water. The sound was heavenly. Good way to unwind before the big event.

After arriving at the high school where Relay for Life was to be held, we put up the tent and all the decorations for our Alice in Wonderland theme, and were in for the long haul.

We began the evening with a bbq dinner put on by Wubba's, a local restaurant. Then to start things out they had the Survivors walk, then there was a frozen Tshirt contest, and then the teams relay began their laps and a local radio station pumped out awesome tunes all through the night. Every song got you up and moving which was a big help as you can well imagine.
Survivors lap

left to right, April, me, MaryGail, Faith, Wendie, Christine, Robin
As you can see, everyone was in character. Thank you Wendie and Christine for coming all the way from California to help our team. I did'nt think I could get Wendie in a dress, but she was a good sport and was our Alice.
Kim (Queen of Hearts), Faith (Mad Hatter)

Faith recruited Kim just two days before Relay and she came dressed as our Queen of Hearts and even got us a sponsor who will pay $5 for every mile each of us walked. How awesome was that? She had tons of energy and motivated and inspired us all.

We had such a good time and hopefully raised a lot of money for the cause. We are already planning next years event and recruiting more girls. We plan to be a little more prepared for next year. We hope to bring a propane heater, hot cocoa, hot coffee and hand warmers as it got downright chilly in the wee morning hours.
This is our booth that we put together with lots of decorations along with
a variety of items for sale. From cupcakes and cookies, to lip balms, chemo caps and body oils. We did very well with our sales.

After the remembrance ceremony and many prayers, hugs and tears, I went to the tent and lay down for a couple of hours. I did'nt sleep much but my body aches went away and I was able to get up and walk a few more laps.

I am grateful to everyone who helped make this event happen and to all those who donated for the cause. For this being my first event since losing my sister and sister-in-law to cancer, to my mom who is a three time survivor of breast cancer, and to our friend Mary, who just became cancer free, I plan to be at each future event as long as I am able.

May some day soon we find a cure for cancer.

Blessings,
Gail

No comments: