Tuesday, January 22, 2013
Going Gray and Vanity
How many of you have started to go gray and want to, but get that terrible 'skunk' look going on and just don't have the ump to keep going? I have been doing this now for several years. Is this what you call vane?
When do you know when you're ready to go gray? When should you go gray? I mean I've seen people in their early twenties gray and tell myself they should color their hair, they just look so old. (vane) Then there is wanting to stay looking young. But when the wrinkles are all over the place shouldn't one try to look more their age?
Some day I'd hope to have hair that looks like the pics above. I have been carrying the last picture in my wallet for about four years now. Each time I get the top of my head half way with gray, I go ahead and color it. I think it is because I haven't seen my true color since I was in my twenties. I'm now fifty eight. I'm not sure with all the colors I have going on in my hair at this time, I could ever get to one of these looks. My hair now has browns, blonde and a hint of red along with the gray. I'm also afraid of what a 'shock' it could be to have this color done by a hair stylist. I've even thought of just bleaching out completely and than letting it go gray. It's just so harsh on your hair.
What have you done? How did you proceed? Yes I'm vane. I need help. Should I or shouldn't I? Fact is I went out yesterday and bought a darker color to put on my hair! What to do? Should I color it myself, or should I go see a stylist and let them decide?
With being housebound and all, I figured now would be a good time to make this transition. I mean I won't be out in public for any one to see the 'skunk' me. What short time I may need to be, I could always wear a scarf or do my usual and pull it into a ponytail or wear a hat. (vane) We all know that having 'good hair' days makes us feel better, and I could really use some good vibes right about now.
Please help. I'm so vane I could use some advice. Just don't tell me to go out and get one of those pink or purple hair dos some of the ladies think looks good. Ugh!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












7 comments:
Dear (Vanity) Gail....oh how I relate... go see Michael at Tangles...he does my hair and Jane's...
Tell him what you want and ask his advice..first time may cost about 1
$100..but you are worth that....
how your doing okay ..and when is your surgery?
Cheryl
I'm still waiting to hear from the Dr. just to get the first initial appointment. I think I'm looking at a couple months just for that. Afraid this Summer is going to be all about recuperating. I'll keep watching your posts to see what your up to. Miss you lady.
I have so tried to go gray, I cut my hair very short and let it grow out natural. I went for months and my hair was salt and pepper (mostly salt). I had more gray than my 70 year old mother. My kids would look at me and say "You look like grandma". Until one day, I decided enough was enough. I was going to look as young as I could, for as long as I could. :)
http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/
Patty I tell myself that too. Stay looking young as long as you can. Thanks good advice.
I am thinking about the same thing. I don't know how gray I am underneath the color but would love to see. The lady in the picture you show in the post is beautiful and I would love that look...you may have just given me enough reason to go for it!
Dolly
This is a huge issue for me as well, I did not start coloring my hair until I was 56, and didn't feel a real need (I got talked into it). I have been doing it since but the expense is awful. And it has to be done every 5-6 weeks. Ugh.
Unfortunately, I am nearly all gray/white except for the back...now wouldn't that look great? I mean, they can't make it all white...it would ruin your hair...only those gorgeous gals (they are usually much younger) can get away with the white/gray.
So I guess I am vain, too!
These pics show some beautiful women. It's inspiring. I also hate the expense of coloring especially on a fixed income. I stopped professional coloring a couple years ago. Been doing my own, hense the varied colors. One more reason to consider the all natural. Vanity be hexed! Lol
Post a Comment