I made this recipe to share with our Civil War ladies at our recent event. It went over with a big hit. If you are like me and enjoy a good tasting gingerbread, I hope you'll give this recipe a try. I will say you wont be disapointed in the flavor or the texture. I found this recipe while searching Civil War recipes on Pinterest. I just love Pinterest.
Alice Carlisle's Gingerbread
Gingerbread was popular among soldiers in both the North and South. Wives like Alice Carlisle often baked and sent loaves of this spicy bread to their husbands in camp, and when hospitals had the ingredients, they baked this for the patients who could eat it.
Ingredients:
- 1 TB butter
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cups molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 1 cup very hot water
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cups molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 1 cup very hot water
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a 9″ square baking pan with the butter. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, soda and spices, and cut in softened butter to the flour mixture with a fork. Combine molasses, egg and water in a small mixing bowl. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir well. Pour the batter into a baking pan and bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Makes 9 servings.
*Recipe courtesy of Total Gettysburg










3 comments:
Oh, my, that looks delicious!
It is, Karen. Perfectly moist and tasty.
It looks so delicious.
Post a Comment