Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Small pleasures and tastes of childhood

I just could'nt stay away from the antique and thrift stores any longer. It had only been two days but I was drawn back to find these great kitchen items. I am using the jar for my dish soap and the boxed can opens on top, just slide it, and I have my borax for scouring the counters and such inside. Aren't they great?

I'm not sure what the can had been used for before, but I would guess some type of laundry soap maybe. The glass jar is an old citrate of magnesia. My daughter found a great old lined wooden box for her laundry powder. Looked like some kind of cooler.
We just never know what we can use an item for so with eyes wide open we search the shelves until something pops out at us and we just have to have it.
My daughter recently found this great cookbook " ATaste of Georgia". I just had to borrow it. I have been so busy writing down many of the recipes. Recipes I remember having as a child. It is the type of recipes that you don't have to ask someone in the store what it is you are looking for to put into your recipe.  In other words, easy to find ingredients with fabulous results.
I'm not from the south and neither was my mom (Sweden), but we lived back in New York and then in Arizona and these recipes are just the way my mom cooked. She would call Swedish meatballs, 'shittabullas'. I spelled it the way it always sounded to me. lol   Here's a recipe you can try.

Swedish Cocktail Meatballs
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1egg
2/3 cup milk
1 Tbsp. finely chopped onion
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. nutmeg

For the sauce: use 1 (12 oz) bottle chili sauce, 1 can beer, 1 (6 oz) jar sweet pickle relish.

Mix the first eight ingredients together and then form into small balls. Brown the meatballs well in cooking oil.
Mix all the sauce ingredients together, then add all the browned meatballs. Simmer on a low heat for approx. 30 minutes.

Bon' Appetite!

1 comment:

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

I adore what you are keeping your scrubbies in on the counter. So cute! Why can't I ever find anything like that? The bottle is very pretty too. I would love to try this recipe. Sounds great for a potluck.