A few of our chapter farmgirls got together at MaryGail's home and made Cherry Jam. We started out pitting about 18 pounds of cherries, getting a few on the floor and staining our hands and clothing. Don't know how I will get the color off my hands, but it does prove I worked hard helping make some 35 jars of jam. We made some with Agave (organic natural sweetener) and I could not tell the difference from the real sugar batch. It was a bit of a job but one we will remember each time we open up a fresh new jar of our own homemade jam.
It took us a little over four hours to get it all cooked up and canned but well worth it. I have to say it was a lot more fun to do this with friends , not only having the company can make the time go faster but just the extra hands was a big help. We had a really fun time chatting and sharing and are looking forward to our next lesson which MaryGail will be showing how to can beets. That's one class I'll sit back and watch as I don't do beets. Now when this summer produces a bunch of tomatoes and peppers, I'm there for the salsa making.
Thanks gals for a great day and a lesson in canning cherry jam.
Thursday, June 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









1 comment:
Good lord! What a big job, I never was much for the pits....in any type of canning. I have done it but not my fav. A job to be proud of...for sure! Farmgirls do it in the kitchen, every time!!!
Love your flowers, somehow I missed that post. Beautiful! I think we appreciate them more this year...we waited so long!
Post a Comment