Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Laundry Day

It's laundry day around here and I'm almost out of my fabric softener. So thought I'd share with you just how I've been making my own. If you have never tried this it's not hard to make and only takes a few minutes.


                                           Homemade Fabric Softener

 First you will need:  
 1 cup Baking Soda
 6 cups White Vinegar
 8 cups Distilled Water
 10-15 drops Essential Oil





         In a large pot, placed either in your kitchen sink or outside, put in 1cup Baking Soda.

                  Slowly add hot Distilled Water until completely dissolved.


          Then gradually, (as its known to explode everywhere), add Vinegar,
                                    stirring gently, a little at a time.

fizzing up









Next, add 10 - 15 drops of your favorite Essential Oil (I use fresh linen),








and pour slowly, one cup at a time into a bottle.









I use an old clorox bottle and this recipe just about fills it up.
  





That's it!

Now, if you followed the steps correctly, you should NOT be cleaning up any mess. My daughter made hers and is still wiping down cubboards, walls, and the ceiling in her kitchen.
 

Use as you would any liquid fabric softener. I fill to the level in my washer. This should last several months and costs pennies compared to commercial types. Besides being inexpensive and easy to make, you can scent it with your favorite oils. I have even used lemongrass which acts as a disinfectant and smells good too.

Now with my laundry done and hanging out to dry, I think its time to bake up some Chocolate Chip cookies. Yum, won't you please stop by and join me?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, that's cool, I have been using vinegar in my dish washer...I think it works. I don't use a softener and never have but I sure would use that one if I needed one! Thanks for the post.

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Oh I am going to try this!!! I make my own laundry detergent and this will make a perfect pair! Thank you so much for the recipe!!!

Hugs,
Maryjane