Saturday, October 29, 2011

Fall gathering/farmgirl style

Yesterday, my daughter and I spent the day cooking homemade apple cider, stuffed and roasted pumpkins (from the new MJ magazine), squash soup and a pumpkin cheesecake. I even made a couple of homemade breads to try with my canned jams.

We invited our local chapter of farmgirls to come out and enjoy an evening to relax and sit around an open firepit. The night was not too chilly as past evenings had been, but was very enjoyable. This seemed like a perfect way to taste some of the bounty from which our gardens provided.

With just a touch of rum in the apple cider, it made for a nice warm relaxing drink. It started out  on top of the stove for several hours, then we strained it and finished simmering it outside on a burner. I must say that it turned out perfect and it is something I would make again. Just look at all the beautiful colors of Fall in the pot. Yummy!

As the fire kept us warm into the evening we enjoyed artisan breads with homemade peach, plum, and apple jams and honey butters. We never got around to making the s'mores or roasting any marshmallows, as everyone was pretty full.

 



Having our new gazebo roof up, sure made for a nice place to come outside and enjoy the evenings. I hope to have many more good times out under the stars.

Happy Fall everyone.


Blessings,
     Gail

1 comment:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

This looks like my kind of fun! Wish I lived closer to join in! Just a touch of rum? hhhmmm! Sounds good! ♥