From here we stopped at the old Fort Rock Museum. It began with only eight people who were interested in preserving the history of the homestead era around 1912. The Stratton house was one of the first to be moved to the museum site. Mrs. Stratton died in 2009 at the age of 104.
Mr. Stratton single-handedly built this house.
Being a Pioneer was hard to say the least, but seeing how they lived and with such simplicity, sure makes me want to simplify my life even more.
We stopped for a bite to eat at the local tavern. It is run by a 70 year old woman who does the cooking all by herself as well as tend the bar. Let me tell you she can put out one delicious meal. After stuffing our faces it was off to our next stop.
Hole in the Ground. It is about six miles from the museum and was caused by a meteoroid, it is a maar, which is a volcanic crater formed by a steam explosion. It is approx. 300 feet deep and a mile wide.
| right side of hole |
| left side of hole |
The road was rough to get out to this, so with my car it was slow going. You would not find this place without the help from the curator of the museum. He has good written directions for every turn and bump in the road. Signs are just not visible.
Hope you enjoyed a little bit of Oregon history. Now, I must plan where we will be going next. Hope to see you there.









2 comments:
Lovely...might not be many trips left...wish I could get down to Oregon...so much to see. Love the old homestead and stopping in quaint little towns.
Oh how I loved this post! I had hoped we could travel West this Fall...but the trip will have to wait! I spent 3 weeks in OR a few years ago and really enjoyed my visit! I would love to come back and explore! I'll mark your blog to see where we go next! ♥
Post a Comment