I spent the entire morning Monday making for the first time, wild plum jam. Not knowing what I was doing I set out first to weigh my fruit. I would step on a bath scale, step off, grab a bowl of fruit, step back on. Crazy right? I had no idea at the time that 2 pounds equaled 32 oz. Man, where was I in school?
Anyway after getting my fruit together I set out to cook it then somehow mash it through a strainer to keep only the pulp and throw out the pits. I tried everything from a spoon to a potatoe masher. Boy, did I get a work out this morning.
After several hours, I finally had 6 cups of fruit to put back on the stove, heat up and add the sugar and pectin. Once poured into the jars (11 small ones), I figured I'd better start cleaning the kitchen because you could not see an inch of counter space.
I soon realized I had forgot to water bath the batch, but by then the lids had sealed and the jars had cooled. So what's a gal to do with all this jam that won't last long now? Yep, share it with everyone I could run into while I was in town. The guy at Texaco got one, the gal at Knick Knack Paddy Wack got one, a close friend received one, and so on until I was out of stock and ready for home.
Lesson learned............put your glasses on and keep your head out of the clouds when making jam.
Wednesday, October 12, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









1 comment:
You are too funny!! They might have sealed anyway but if not you just keep them in the fridge...right who has room in their fridge this time of year!! I can just see you running around town with your purse full of jam...oh, by the way...lol
Post a Comment