I went to our local Hospice thrift store and as soon as I walked in the door I spotted this great journal for $3. It has a tag on it that it is a Fair Trade book made of twigs, leaves and recycled paper handcrafted in Indonesia. It also says the family that made this collects the leaves, twigs and dried fruit from their garden to create the cover and make the recycled paper in their kitchen blender. They live in a village of Tegallalong, Bali. This is so intricately put together, I cannot even imagine how many hours they must have put into making such a piece. The pages are so soft and delicate they almost feel like silk.
To get the history of where it came from and how people elsewhere make their living and how much work they put into this book with their very own hands makes this ever so special to me. I may not be able to travel to see how other people live but this sure makes me feel like I'm right beside them watching them work. One can daydream, right? I think I may have to put some nature onto the pages of this book. I have some pressed dried flowers from last summer I think I will place in this journal and see what other things of nature I can find to fill these beautiful pages. I will just have to take a nice walk about the property today. I usually find a bluebird's egg or moss, something I know will be appropriate for my new little book.
Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









1 comment:
Great book, love the story that goes with it. What a treasure! Love what you plan to do with it too.
Post a Comment