Monday, March 5, 2012

Learning to Prep for an Emergency

Omg, where have I been. Well, I have been reading a lot! Reading many different blogs and websites, trying to learn how to become a little more self sufficient. What I can do to prepare ourselves better in an economic downfall, earthquake, or other unforseen emergency.

Have you watched any of the 'Doomsday Preppers' on TV?  http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/ My fav is 'Food Preservation' with Kellene Bishop. I'm sure many of you have been stockpiling for years, but this is new for me. Although I feel some of the people on the shows have gone crazy overboard, there are some who do have a point in that our Government is not always going to be here to help us out. We all need to prepare for ourselves.

So with all this in mind, we have begun prepping, as they say, by putting together first aid kits, stocking up on food and water supplies, cutting and splitting lots of firewood, and of course ammo and guns to protect what we have.


I pray I never have to use anything but the food for when I can't get the 25 miles into town because the snow has hit us so hard we are unable to get out or, God forbid, a terrible disaster does strike.

With the cost of fuel and food going up at an alarming rate, 30 cents a gallon in the last month, I am feeling better about having a surplus for if and when trucks are unable to deliver to the grocery stores.  As you can see, I hope to stockpile enough for at least a 3 month supply for now, and eventually maybe even a one year supply.

There are many sites out there to help one get started in how to prepare for an emergency. Just browse around until you find one that suits you.

I really enjoy reading these homestead blogs. These people have been doing this stuff  for some time and have some great info to share. http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com  and http://oregonnatural.blogspot.com/.

I've also found some interesting sites on how to make some very resourseful things. http://preparednotscared.blogspot.com  Here is a pic of my emergency candle kits that Trish shares how to make.


You glue a plumbers cap to the inside of the lid, place candles and matches in the jar, and reverse the lid to store your candle holder inside. Clever.

I am also making a emergency stovetop from new paint cans using toilet tissue, rubbing alcohol, and a church key. (Trish shows how to make this also.)

It is really quite interesting to discover other ways of surviving when we don't have the means to electricity or fuel.

I am also reading up on how to cook with dehydrated foods. This should be interesting.

I hope I may have inspired some of you to become more prepared for whatever may or may not come our way. Check out some of the sites which, I know, will surely inspire you. What have you got to lose? And if you know of some good ones, please send them my way.

The Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

--Reinhold Niebuhr
blessings,
Gail

No comments: