At only 12 degrees this morning, I had an inkling to bake a pie. But I wanted to make it from scratch.
After searching online, I found this recipe from Food.com. It said it is an 'old Pioneer recipe which stills stands the test of time.'
So of course, I had to give it a try.
Chocolate Pie from Scratch
Begin with 1 cup brown sugar, 3 Tablespoons cocoa
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
3 Tablespoons flour
pinch of salt
Mix all together and then add 2 cups of boiling water.
Cook until thickened over medium heat, stirring constantly.
Next, add 2 egg yolks, beaten (mixing a bit of the hot liquid with the yolks before adding)
Cook this a bit longer.
Remove from heat and add,
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 Tablespoon butter
Cool, then pour into a baked pie shell.
Set aside.
Meringue
Beat 2 egg whites until fluffy. Add 3 Tablespoons sugar and
1 Tablespoon cornstarch.
Whip it until it peaks.
Pile on top of pie and brown slightly in a 350 degree oven for apprx. 5 - 10 minutes.
This is how it turned out.
Looks yummy, huh?
And this is what I thought about it.
Mmmmmm good.
Those Pioneer women were right. It's a keeper.










2 comments:
That looks so yummy...I haven't baked a pie in a million years!
I baked my very first *successful* chocolate meringue pie at Christmas. Yours looks very yummy! Congratulations!
Nancy
www.liveasavorylife.com
Post a Comment